Friday, December 7, 2012

Bboy Spotlight: Godswill Ugwa

Godswill is a Bboy from Garland, Texas who attends The University of Texas as Dallas. I have the opportunity to learn some Bboy techniques from Godswill during the year along with a few peers and was able to sit down with him for an interview. 




 What first got you interested in Bboying?

GU: My best friend in 9th grade showed me this C-walking video, so that got me into Hip-Hop culture. Also, I really wanted to learn how to dance. I went to a lot of dances and didn't know what to do, and a few girls told me that I didn't know how to dance, which bothered me. So really a combination of all those things.


What sets it apart from other forms of dance? 

GU: It's a lot more free than other dances, I feel. It's more free and it takes more. I like the athleticism that goes into it, it's like a man's sport. [laughs] Well maybe I shouldn't say that. But there's a competitive nature that goes into it, like you can't Bboy with a date and be like "watch these moves girl." But at the same time, it's not angry. Krumping is an angry dance, but Bboying doesn't have that rage with it.

Talk a little bit about your experience with the competitions.

GU: For a long time I've been really nervous about competitions. When I'm aiming to compete, I don't want to mess up and I become really stoic. But when I'm just trying to have fun I'm more relaxed, you know, I'm not all over the place. And I also go to competitions to network and to meet new people. So I think it's best when you go to competitions to go with the intent to have fun and always try to meet someone new. Also bring a camera. It's a lot of fun to go to competitions and record the battles. And always try to go to a competition, once you have a few moves down. Don't say, "Oh, I'll go to the next one." It's a good way to hone your skills and keep your blood running.



Do you think you might join or start a crew anytime soon? 

GU: Yeah. I'm aiming to next year with you guys, if you think you're ready. If not, I'll probably just join in with somebody who needs a partner whenever I'm at competitions.

Is there any cultural significance to Bboying? What does it mean to you? 

GU: I feel that it really ties me to Hip-Hop. Like the real Hip-Hop that was founded back in the day. And the reason I feel that it ties me to that is it represents that sort of aggressiveness and assertiveness that Hip-Hop music and Hip-Hop style has when you do it right, but in a way that lets you expresses yourself. There's a lot of significance to me. I was really shy and didn't really know how to express myself before, and I feel that Bboying was sort of the catalyst for who I am today.

Any advice for people who want to get into Bboying?

GU: [laughs] Yes, a lot. You've definitely heard this. The first thing that someone has to come in with is knowledge. They have to know that, one, it's going to be hard. Two, they need to know the history. History is important so that you're actually feeling what you're doing and where it comes from and you're not just out there doing moves. Three, they have to know how to come into it without getting hurt. The main other thing that you need to bring into this is determination, because you're not going to get it down overnight. You have to be willing to practice until you get it down and be willing to work past your mistakes and your injuries. The last thing I would say is to find a good group that you can join up with. Doing it by yourself, you won't really be sure if you're getting better. But it you find an established group, or even just a group of friends, they can push you to get better and give you some encouragement.

Thanks for interviewing with me.

GU: No problem. I feel special [laughs]

See some of Godswill's moves below in this video I took.


No comments:

Post a Comment