Friday, December 7, 2012

DJ Spotlight: Chase Fisher

 I recently had the chance to interview Chase Fisher, an internet DJ from the University of Denver. Chase talks about what goes into being a DJ and his relationship with Djing.

Used with permission (c) 2012 Chase Fisher


How long have you been DJing?

CF: About three or four years. The first set I ever played was on a virtual club in an online game called Second Life.

 What about DJing appeals to you?

CF: Well, I like music, and I like making people happy. And I kinda go a little overboard. It's shit I can't do normally, like sometimes I get crazy freaking drunk and play a set, and people will still listen. It's kinda terrible, but I love it.

Tell us a little about the preparation that goes into DJing a set.

Used with permission (c) 2011 Chase Fisher
CF: Well when I play an online set I get my stream set up, I enter in an IP and a port to broadcast the music. Then I put like 20, 25 minutes of music up in the stack, so I have a base to work on. The rest of the time I fill with just stuff that I come across, or requests. I'm big on requests. Generally I can get whatever people want. And then I get myself psyced up enough to yell at people I don't know about music and random bullshit. [laughs] I turn up the volume and start the first song. I'll play one or two before talking about anything. It's a mind thing. I ask people what they want to hear at that point, or if I'm broadcasting to like, a lot of people I'll just give a general poll.

Is there a big difference between Djing online and performing live?

CF: You get paid when you DJ live.

Do you create any original music or do you prefer preexisting records, more like classic DJs?

CF: Well, I do have one mashup that I'm really proud of, and I'm going to be working on another, but for the most part I play preexisting tracks.

 Any advice for aspiring DJs?

CF: Give the people what they want to hear. Make sure you interact with the crowd, you know? You're part of the crowd.

Thanks for letting me interview you. Any final thoughts?

CF: Nah man, I'm good.

If you want to hear more from Chase, have a listen to his mashup, "Ch-Ch-Check Out My Supermassive Black Hole" (posted with permission from Chase):
 

No comments:

Post a Comment